January 19th, 2018

Why Writers Should Head Into the Woods

Cathy Lamb

When I was about eight, my parents took my sisters, my brother, and me on a six week camping trip in a tent.

Yes, I said six weeks.

No, my parents had not lost their ever lovin’ minds. My father had a sabbatical, they were sick of the city, and they wanted out.


January 12th, 2018

Slow: Meandering Reader Ahead

Last week, Fae Rowen discussed her reading habits in Beware: Voracious Reading Ahead. Like her, I remember reading way more than my friends and classmates when I was young, devouring every book that came my way.

I started with the marvelous for Laura Ingalls Wilder and Nancy Drew. Then a very strange novel in 5th […]

January 8th, 2018

The One Technique You Need to Nail Your Writing Goals

Colleen M. Story

As part of one of my recent freelance projects, I read an interesting survey about how women and men differ when it comes to setting and achieving goals.

You can read the full report at Leadership IQ. For this post, I’m zeroing in on one result that sort of surprised me. The […]

January 5th, 2018

Essential Writing Advice as You Begin the New Year

Every writer, whether they’re starting the journey or standing atop the bestseller lists, feels like a hack at some point. Like an imposter, a phony, a gigantic fakeball loser. It might happen once a month or once an hour. The point is, it will happen.

Woody Allen says “80% of success is showing up.” The other 20% of […]

January 1st, 2018

What word will guide your writing life in 2018?

I love the idea of a fresh start.

There’s something so appealing about a new beginning, an uncharted course, a do-over. It’s why every year, I make New Year’s resolutions and manage to keep many of them.

But for the last few years, I’ve also followed along with the idea of choosing a single word […]