February 5th, 2018

Some Hearts and Flowers Love – Pimp & Promote!

Valentine’s Day is almost here, and at Writers in the Storm, we’re marking the occasion with a little “Pimp and Promote.” Of course, this always costs us some money, because we have to go out and buy lots of books. But let’s go for it!

How does this work?

To quote the genie in […]

February 2nd, 2018

5 Writing Lessons from Groundhog Day

Today is Groundhog Day, when people all over the United States wait to hear if groundhog Phil’s shadow in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania is visible.  We’ve been doing this since the 1800’s even though it’s an incredibly weird thing to depend on a rhodent’s shadow to predict when Spring will begin.

Still, when a writer hears about […]

January 24th, 2018

What Kinds of Social Media Go Viral?

In last month’s post, I shared social media strategies that support your brand and let you have a life. I don’t know about you, but I like having social media be something I fit into MY life, rather than the other way around. The big question everyone wants to know is: “How do I get my […]

January 5th, 2018

Essential Writing Advice as You Begin the New Year

Every writer, whether they’re starting the journey or standing atop the bestseller lists, feels like a hack at some point. Like an imposter, a phony, a gigantic fakeball loser. It might happen once a month or once an hour. The point is, it will happen.

Woody Allen says “80% of success is showing up.” The other 20% of […]

January 1st, 2018

What word will guide your writing life in 2018?

I love the idea of a fresh start.

There’s something so appealing about a new beginning, an uncharted course, a do-over. It’s why every year, I make New Year’s resolutions and manage to keep many of them.

But for the last few years, I’ve also followed along with the idea of choosing a single word […]