January 24th, 2018

What Kinds of Social Media Go Viral?

In last month’s post, I shared social media strategies that support your brand and let you have a life. I don’t know about you, but I like having social media be something I fit into MY life, rather than the other way around. The big question everyone wants to know is: “How do I get my […]

January 5th, 2018

Essential Writing Advice as You Begin the New Year

Every writer, whether they’re starting the journey or standing atop the bestseller lists, feels like a hack at some point. Like an imposter, a phony, a gigantic fakeball loser. It might happen once a month or once an hour. The point is, it will happen.

Woody Allen says “80% of success is showing up.” The other 20% of […]

October 17th, 2016

Tips for Surviving the Agony and Ecstasy of NaNoWriMo

NaNoWrimo 2016

NaNoWriMo, for those of you who are unfamiliar with it, is National Novel Writing Month, where hundreds of thousands of writers gather to bang out many many words in a month. Many writers skip it and many writers treat it as a yearly pilgrimage to Writing Mecca.

NaNoWriMo is my birthday present to myself each […]

November 21st, 2012

“Writerly” Thanks From Our Team Here at WITS

Today we’re each taking the opportunity to give thanks for one “writerly” thing that helps us put those words on the page.

from Jenny Hansen:

I am thankful for blogging. Particularly for More Cowbell, my personal blog. Not only does it give me hours and hours of entertainment, it helped me find my writing process […]

January 11th, 2012

The Business of Character Engagement

by Jenny Hansen

A while back, I was doing social media for the accounting firm I work for part-time and I came across the following tweet:

Leadershipfreak Dan Rockwell – A no string attached book giveaway on today’s post: 9 Questions that enhance engagement” http://bit.ly/rtNRQO

Hmmm…I’m a writer. I’m interested in “engagement”…particularly as it relates […]