November 24th, 2021

The 2021 WITS Team Gives Writerly Thanks

Today at Writers In The Storm we’re giving thanks for the “writerly” people and things that help us put words on the page. One of the things we're grateful for are the two new team members -- Lynette Burrows and Lisa Norman -- who have joined the behind-the-scenes team here at WITS. Please join us in welcoming them!

We're also opening the door for our readers! Share your gratitude for writerly things large and small down in the comments.

Ellen Buikema

I am thankful for all the people who have helped shape my writing, occasionally nudging me in another direction to make a clearer, more interesting story.

Many eyes on our work makes all the difference in the world.

* * * * * *

Lynette Burrows

In a year that started with loss, I am grateful it was also about friends who stepped up to help.

It has been a year full of new opportunities for blogging, and writing, and writing friends. And I am especially grateful for the honor and delight that is being part of the WITS crew.

* * * * * *

Jenny Hansen

I'm giving writerly thanks for TWO things.

First of all, I am deeply grateful to Lynette and Lisa for joining our team. We are a close-knit group behind the scenes here, doing what's required to keep WITS running. It is our honor to do that work, but it is still work. My fellow WITS Warriors amaze me with their energy, their ideas, and their talent.

I am also giving thanks for Melinda Cohan and her team at The Coaches Console for making my day job dreams come true. I am two months from officially launching a LinkedIn Coaching business and it brings up some of the same emotions as a story launch. It's exciting, invigorating, rewarding, AND terrifying.

Here is the quote from Melinda that has kept me moving forward this month.

* * * * * *

Kris Maze author pic

Kris Maze

I'm grateful for rekindling the joy of writing small and trying out short story contests this year! It was fun to write with others doing the same contests, and it reinvigorated my writing.

My latest is Star Tracker - A New Beginning, written for the NYC Midnight contest earlier this year.

* * * * * *

Lisa Norman

I'm grateful for the amazing camaraderie of writers from around the world.

Instead of isolation, I've found friendship and connection with fellow writers through NaNoWriMo, Lawson Writer's Academy, and Writers In the Storm. What a wonderful gift this connection is for all of us!

I'm also excited to moderate "It's a Wonderful Writer's Life," the December "advent calendar" of prompts for writers happening at the Lawson Writers Academy. It's going to be so much fun!

* * * * * *

We won't be posting here on Friday this week, but we hope you continue to stop by to share your "writerly thanks" with us until we return on Monday.

If you're in the States, we hope you're preparing for a great Thanksgiving. If you're doing NaNoWriMo, we hope your word count is making you happy (or that you at least had fun). And wherever you are on your writing journey, we're thankful that you share your journey with us here at Writers In the Storm. Our readers are the BEST!

Many thanks,
Ellen, Jenny, Kris, Lisa & Lynette

Top Photo by Hanny Naibaho on Unsplash

29 responses to “The 2021 WITS Team Gives Writerly Thanks”

1. Ritu says:

Thank you to my mentor, my critique partners, beta readers, illustrator and my publisher. Without them, Kara’s Dreams, my debut picture book, would never have become a reality.

• Kris Maze says:

Hi Ritu,
      It does take a team to make a book. I'm glad you found all the support in this effort. Best of luck writing into the new year!

Kris

2. lorispielman says:

Happy Thanksgiving, WITS Team! Thanks, all of you, for your wonderful posts. I so appreciate your writerly wisdom!

• Kris Maze says:

Hi Lori,
      It does take a team to pull off the regular posts. I'm glad we have so many contributors in the industry who are willing to connect with our readers. It is a blessing to be a part of this group, as I learn so much from them as well.
      Thanks for your comments and have a great Thanksgiving.

Kris

3. thewriteedge says:

A very happy Thanksgiving to the entire WITS team! I'm grateful for all of you, your willingness to help us writers out here, and for your encouraging yet realistic posts that remind us if we put in the work, we'll always find a way forward. Thank you!

• Kris Maze says:

Hi there,
      We aim to keep it real, I suppose. Writing is a calling, a joy, and sometimes, a curse when it doesn't go as we plan. Thank you for reading and for your feedback!
      Kris

4. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I eagerly anticipate all WITS posts every week, and always learn something new. Thank you all for your dedication and hard work.

• Kris Maze says:

Thank you, Vanessa! It's great to hear that the blog has enriched writer's lives and that you anticipate the posts. It keeps us motivated as well.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving! (If you are in the US - I suppose I shouldn't assume!)

Kris

5. angelaackerman1 says:

You guys do amazing work - thank you so much for being so generous with your time and knowledge. Happy Thanksgiving! 🙂

• Kris Maze says:

Hi Angela,

And we could say the same for your contributions here at WITS. I am also grateful to have been a part of your Conflict Thesaurus Street Team - which was a lot of fun. You and Becca put together the most interesting and fun promotions (choose your own adventure horror story? Fantastic!).

Have a Great Thanksgiving!
      Kris

• Jenny Hansen says:

We ALL do amazing work, Angela!! (And I am working on bringing you to my local writing chapter...at least through the screen. 🙂 So I will get to see some more of your amazing work.)

6. Yvonne Müller says:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I'm thankful for commenting on one of your posts earlier this year and by that winning a class with Laurie Schnebly. Since then I booked two more classes with her and learned so much.

• Kris Maze says:

Hi Yvonne,
      Wow - how awesome that you were able to energize your writing with classes. And you won them here! It's wonderful to hear the impact a blog can have on a writer's journey.

We appreciate your readership!
      Kris

• Jenny Hansen says:

This is the best thing I've heard all day, Yvonne! I love that you won one of Laurie's classes here. She is SUCH a fantastic teacher.

7. Happy Thanksgiving to you all. It brings a smile when there's an email from WITS because I know information and inspiration await. Each one is a writerly gift and I'm thankful.

8. I am thankful for all the writerly support I have gotten, as I have trudged through my manuscripts these past couple of years, including guest blogging here at WITS on occasion. Welcome to the newest WITS writers-I am looking forward to what WITS has to offer this year. I thank my family for their extraordinary support of this pastime of mine, that sometimes makes for undone piles of laundry and people fending for themselves in the fridge for diner, as I type away. But, through that support, I am on the verge of publication with one project and deep into the writing trenches of the other. Whatever you celebrate this week, be it Thanksgiving, family, life itself...I hope you are able to enjoy it.

9. Eldred Bird says:

I'm thankful for the support of my fellow writers and especially for the opportunity that WITS has given me to pass on some of what I've learned along the way!

10. Barb DeLong says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, to all WITS contributors and worker bees. I look forward to every WITS post and have learned SO much and received SO much encouragement! You are awesome!

• Jenny Hansen says:

Barb, you brighten my day every time you show up at WITS! I don't get to see you in the other local places, so I'm delighted to watch your writer's journey here, and online. 🙂

11. rolandclarke says:

I'm writerly grateful to all those in the writing community, especially WITS and the Insecure Writers Support Group, who kept me writing when my multiple sclerosis almost made me quit for good. Finally, immense thanks to my encouraging beta readers and editor.

12. Andrea Grigg says:

You WITS people are amazing. I may not leave comments but I do regularly read your blog! Thank you for your encouragement in my writing life (especially you, Lisa Norman).

13. dholcomb1 says:

Thank you to WITS for the moderators and guests who give such valuable writing-related information, advice, and keep this blog running.

denise