Here we are looking 2012 right smack in the face. If you’re like millions of other people, you’re making resolutions about losing weight and exercising more. Chances are good that 90% of those resolutions will be broken or forgotten by the end of January.
If you are a writer, published or unpublished, you’re hoping this New Year will bring Fame and Fortune. Or more realistically, you’re hoping for a contract that will help to build your career.
I have some suggestions for your New Year’s Resolutions:
1. Make writing a priority. It’s way too easy to get off track if you don’t stick to your guns. Family and friends make demands on you. A good movie opens at the local theater, you promise yourself that you’ll get back to your writing schedule tomorrow. Don’t count on it!
2. Spend time with other writers. No one understands a writer’s fears, failures and successes like another writer. Not even your mother.
3. Don’t let the business get you down. Nora Roberts says, and I believe her, that it was hard to get published when she started writing. Getting published in the traditional way is still hard. Get used to it.
4. Develop a presence on the Internet. Editors do check authors’ blogs and websites. But remember Resolution #1 - don’t spend all of your writing time fussing with your Internet exposure and forget about your goal of being published.
5. Improve your craft. Attend workshops and conferences, take classes online, find a critique group that will encourage you and help you to grow. This is part of making your writing a priority.
6. Keep yourself mentally and physically healthy. Yep, you do have to exercise, spend time with friends and family, and find ways to fill your creative well.
7. Read. A lot. Both in and out of the genre you’re writing. I guarantee that won’t be a burden.
Happy writing in 2012! Here’s to making all your dreams come true.
What are your writing resolutions for the New Year?
Books that leave you smiling -
Big Sky Family, Love Inspired, 10/19/2011
Montana Love Letter, Love Inspired, 10/2012
Secrets of Mary's Bookshop, Guideposts Books, 2012
2011 Book Buyers Best Finalist
Copyright © 2023 Writers In The Storm - All Rights Reserved